25 April 2008

Death

I had to bury one of my ferrets Thursday. Smokey hadn't been doing well for some time. She'd eat but not much. (She wasn't a big eater as it was.) My wife and I think she may have been ailing since we got her from a neighbor who was moving last August. We aren't sure. All we do know is that she wasn't doing well in the hours before her death.

While her death didn't shock me, it did bring thoughts of my eventual death back to the fore.

See, death scares me. I don't know what I'll find, if anything. Does my soul continue to live while my corporeal body lies in a coffin "six feet below". Will I return? Be it as another human or in some other form? Maybe as a bird, as I feel I'll become after some period.

My other fear is that I won't die, and when my body is placed in the coffin I'll awaken and not be able to get out.

This above almost all other things is my biggest fear.

-More to come

1 comment:

AnneDroid said...

I found that a touching post. Touching the heart of what it is to be human. Death is always horrible. Jesus wept when his friend died, and I find that comforting because it acknowledges that grief is the natural and appropriate response to a bereavement. We don't need to be all stoic and say, "Oh well, their spirit lives on" etc.. We're SAD, and we can/should acknowledge that it's an awful wrench. Sorry this is turning into a post instead of a comment.