03 June 2008

New Computers Pt. II

Well, yesterday, Monday 02 June '08 was the big day. We bought our new -I'm talking about BRAND NEW- laptops. No second hand desktop. "Two out of the box, wrapped in styro-foam, un-opened CD-Roms, all manuals, cords and all accounted for, SIR," computers.

Dell Inspiron 1525, 2Gig memory, 120Gig hard-drive, WiFi enabled Windows Vista Home Premium.

Had an issue setting up the wireless router. Our 6 year old Dell desk-top did not like being asked by the installation software to check the connection. When it got to that point in the process, the desk-top booted me off the 'Net. Not good. I tried again. Same result. Okay... NOT!! I ended up using thedesktop's now ainciant operating sytem to configure the router. Any normal bi-pedial mamal would think this the end of the problems. NOT SO. Jen connected with out a hitch. I, on the other hand, had problems with this as well. A program that took Jen all of 2minutes (that's 120 seconds people) was going to take me 34 minutes or more. NOT GOOD. I ended up thinking I had a problem with my WiFi. This is not a good. A brand new laptop should not have this type of problem. I asked about it at work. Thankfully my boss knows a good deal about such things. Long story short. He thought it may be a configuration issue. Maybe it was. After I got our son, Andrew from his after care program, he and I went to a local mall that I knew had an area with an "open" network. I logged on and, SLAM. Speeds more like I would expect.

As I stated in part 1 of this Oh the joy. Oh, the pain in the posterior.


-More to come

No comments: